- The question
- The aim of this dissertation
- Other questions that will arise
- How the research will be carried out
- Why this subject was chosen
Chapter 1 –Anime & Manga
- History of anime & manga
- Brief history of anime and manga
- When Japanese animation became Japanese
- Kitazawa Yasuji
- Okamoto Ippei
- Tezuka Osamu
- The popularity of anime & manga
- The popularity of anime and manga
- The way in which Japan has a history of looking at illustrations with Kanji….
- The visual style of anime & manga
- The drawing styles
- Exaggerated features
- Distinguishing nationalities
Chapter 2 – Japanese myths, legends and folktales in anime and manga
- Overview of Japanese myths and Legends
- What Japanese myths, legends and folktales are…..
- The importance of Japanese myths, legends and folktales…..ancient stories and lessons passed down through the ages, in a way survived America’s influence after WW2 when America said to keep manga aimed at children?
- How they are seen in Japan….ways to tell stories to teach lessons?
- A few examples of Japanese myths and legends
- Relevance in Japanese anime and manga
- The influence of Japanese myths, legends and folktales in anime and manga
- How they are used in anime and manga
- As a great story, playing on the tales that frightened their ancestors….night parade of 100 demons.
- Why they are used in anime and manga
- Do the anime and manga influenced by myths, legends and folktales teach the same lessons that the myths, legends and folktakes do?
- Can these anime and mangas be considered the modern way to teach these lessons?
Chapter 3 – Japanese culture in anime & manga
- Ideology in Japan
- Government limitations before WW2
- American limitations after WW2
- Japanese ability to adapt
- The cost and time issues with animating
- Japanese animation techniques
Chapter 4 – Japanese social and political issues in relation to anime & manga
- Overview of Japanese social and political issues
- Brief description of the social and political issues specific to Japan
- Animation pre and post WW2
- Manga for travel – the desire to get out of the country
- Manga with soldier’s picture shows
- Providing entertainment for children
- Keeping Japanese culture alive?
- Women’s rights
- Women’s rights in Japan and elsewhere
- The influence on anime & manga
- Anime and manga and the government/people
- The influence of anime and manga on the government
- The influence of anime and manga on people
- Japanese perception on what’s deemed acceptable
- Sex in anime & manga
- Refer to the questions and aims from the introduction
- The journey
- The findings